Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Wen's Tank Sweater


For my SIL's b-day, I made a tank sweater using the x-back pattern from Knitty.com. I finished the sweater in December, but found it to be WAY too big on her. This was my first attempt at knitting with ribbon yarn and found that it is much stretchier than I expected. My swatch was on gauge, but the final product dwarfed her little frame. So, I braved facing a new knitting skill - sewing side seams, cutting out the extra yarn, and then sewing ribbon over the raw edges. It worked perfectly. HURRAY!! Here's Wendy modeling her now-fitting birthday sweater.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Where, oh where has my sleeve gone

I was SO impressed with myself last night. I was making fantastic progress on Eric's sweater sleeve. I had him try on the sweater to check my progress and realized I was nearly done with the 1st sleeve, but still had 16 stitches to decrease (2 every 6th row). "Hmmmm, that seems odd." I thought. I decided to consult my nifty pattern and realized I was supposed to decrease to 61 stitches and then work even, not decrease to 41 stitches (which was the number my wee brain seemed to latch on to). Soooooo, I frogged it to the spot I should have stopped decreasing and am now working even on 61 stitches. Oh well, at least I know it'll be right this time around! (Unless my numbers inability sabbotages my knitting again!)